Saturday, March 28, 2015

I've Got Friends...

When you’re from a small town, go to college for Art/Architecture, join a sorority, and go on to work in a creative field, you’re bound to have a very wide range of [awesome] friends.  With the exception of a handful, most of my best friends have come from my “adult” life, and unfortunately, I don’t live anywhere near them. From Boston, Chicago, to South Freaking Korea, my best friends are scattered all over the Carolinas/United States/Earth and range in careers from stay-at-home moms, teachers, designers, architects, doctors, and more.  This diverse group of personalities and influences keeps a creative mind on its toes, and I’m so grateful that they challenge and encourage me.

Working at Frenzy introduced me to many of my dearest friends.  If you ever need a good cry when you’re struggling with the oddest combination of complete life fulfillment and lost purpose, FaceTime with Savannah Fink, and she’ll have the most encouraging words to lift your spirits and remind you that you’re valuable.  Savannah has the most kind, patient, and artistic mind, and I’m waiting an ungodly amount of time for her to return to this country.  Last time I saw her was in February 2013 while I was on the brink of the most miserable time of my life, and one phone call from her shortly after will forever go down in my book as the most thoughtful and supportive acts of friendship.  I’ll always remember what she said, “Sometimes when you think people want to be left alone and need their space is the exact time that they need you most, so I had to call.” (our other dear pal Rachel, me, and Savannah- our last time together).


When Savannah left, I knew replacing her would be tough not only for our company, but also for me- I needed a strong, smart, creative, funny, and supportive gal to work with in an otherwise dude-driven office. When we received an application from a fellow Clemson graduate named Millie Davis whose resume [and admitted Facebook stalking] resembled Savannah with eerie similarities, I knew we were set.  Millie and I hit it off right away, and I am struggling to even find the words to describe how much she and I have in common, so I’ll just leave it there. Millie (and her boo Trey) could rule the creative world.  I’ve never seen two people whose ability to design and create be as beautiful, clean, and effective as theirs. Their skillsets are so vast across the arts, and I spend a lot of my time trying to cultivate a plan where they can move to Charleston, be my neighbors, get married, and have a baby boy who will marry my daughter and they would have the most beautiful wedding the world has ever seen…

I hope everyone is lucky enough to have a job that introduces you to lifelong friends and then can write a blog about it that will be seen by a whopping audience of 200 people.

Anyhow, Millie is a wonderfully talented photographer (like duh).  She took this one incredible picture that begged me to paint it.  My inspiration for artwork comes from a variety of sources- most are a combination of sketches and photos and take a little back-end work before putting them on paper; however, her photograph was so beautiful and simple that I worked straight from it.  After receiving Millie’s emphatic permission, I created this artwork and hope she finds it marginally as beautiful as her photography (below).



See the listing on Etsy

2 comments: